About

My photo
This blog was established as a place to share my design finds, work & inspiration. This blog provides a creative outlet to share my thoughts and inspiration for all things design. I hope this blog inspires you. Visit our website www.winkandco.com.au.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Design Dilemma

Its official - I am facing a design dilemma. No, make that a design crisis!

Yesterday I returned home after a long days work at the office, walked in to our empty house and heard the sound of music greeting me as I entered. What on earth, I thought. Have we been burgled by a music loving burglar? As I crept into the living room I was soon greeted by possibly the most hideous monstrosity that has ever set foot in our house - a vintage record player and radio. Now, I'm not just talking about some gorgeously stained timber piece of beauty here, no, I am talking gigantic, in-your-face, cant miss me - record player with two over sized speakers to boot!

Steven is a lover of all things retro (I think he was born in the wrong era) and has been hankering for a record player to play his vintage record collection on for many months now. We have argued about the style, size, look of what he should get (I would have been happy with the invisible kind) and most importantly where the hell it will go! Which brings me to my current predicament now that this record player has magically appeared in our home - where to put it?

Interior design is all about translating the tastes of two people (or one or more in some cases) into one functional and harmonious design. Steven and I flounder between loving the same things and at other times being polar opposites. He wanted a rug made from artificial grass for his office, I would have preferred a hand-knotted silk rug for a more luxurious feel. He loves ultra-modern and I love classic.  It can be very hard at times to unite two people's styles and personal tastes into a successful design - but that's what our jobs as professionals is for! So while I sit here self-pitying the predicament I find myself in, I really should sign off now and put my time into finding a solution and vacant position in the house for this new permanent fixture. This needs a lot of thought!


The offending piece of equipment in question



Ok, this last photo looks half decent and quite modern I must admit.

2 comments:

  1. It looks a bit like a BBQ. Stick it outside :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like a BBQ!!! oh dear. The solution was that we put wheels on it and it now lives in his office and is wheeled out for 'special occasions' :)

      Delete

 
Powered by Blogger.